Hey folks! I know that I promised more stitch tutorials, but I’m feeling a bit under the weather today. Instead, I’m going to show you the final piece for the Doctor Who portrait Heather commissioned:
Each portrait was done on it’s own separate shade of blue cotton fabric to mimic the dramatic lighting and the separation of the two characters. The portraits are done using only running, split, back, chain, satin, and blanket stitches. *Tutorials to come on the last two and more.
The shading on the portraits was done using my prismacolor colored pencils directly on the fabric. I did not use any acrylic coating or gel medium as adherence won’t be an issue since this piece won’t be laundered. I have used an acrylic sealer in the past and it seemed to cause slight pilling of the cotton fabric. After they were completed I sewed them together. I think perhaps their hands ought to have been closer together…
I’m not sure that I captured the melancholy of the original, but I hope it’s close. Heather seemed to love it so that’s what counts! Hope you enjoyed it too.
Would love to hear what you think!